The Walk







Once upon a time, not too long ago, a Father and son set off for a walk.  It was the end of the day and the sun was beginning to set.  They headed for their favorite spot on a local beach.  When they arrived they could see the sun on the horizon kissing the water with brilliant yellows and burring oranges.  The water answered back with reflecting colors of deep blues and majestic purples.  They sat themselves down in the cool sand to take in the site.


After a few minutes the father turned to his son and asked "Son, when you look at the mountains behind us, what do you see?".
His son thought for a time and then said "I see large fields to run and play in.  I see trees to climb and wild life to chase.  I see mountains covered in snow for me to ski down.  That is what I see when I look at the mountains behind us".


Several minutes passed and the Father turned to his son and asked"Son, when you look up at the sky, what do you see?".

His son took several minutes and then answered, "I see blue skies with birds at flight, breathtaking sunsets and clouds.  I see the Moon and Stars.  Gods guide to me to follow if I get lost and can not find my way.  That's what I see when I look up at the sky".


 As the last few rays of of light fell into the horizon the fatter asked, "Son, when you look out at the ocean, what do you see?
.Again his son pondered the question and then answered "I see big waves crashing into the shore.  I feel they are begging me to ride them with my surf board.  I see a vast body of water and wounder what is hides under its surface.  I see dolphins, turtles and whales.  I see distant lands on the opposite beach filled with new friends and people to meet.  That's is what I see when I look out at the ocean".

On their way home the father asked his final question.  "Son, are you not afraid that you will get lost in the mountains or fall off a cliff?  You could be hit by lighting or attacked by a shark!  What if people in distant lands do not like you?".

Without hesitation his son answered, "I have a knowing that where ever I go, you will be leading the way.  If I get lost, you will stand beside me and whisper into my ear the correct way to go.  If I am about to fall, you will be standing behind me, ready to catch me and set me back on the right path.  I know you have  a plan for me and it is not to hurt me!   Because of this knowing, I have nothing to fear!".

Then with a big grin on his face, the Father said "Son, you are now ready to go forth and live your life.  Tomorrow you will be born in the the world.  Go and enjoy your life to the fullest!  I expect great things from you and a full report from you upon your return home".

With a big smile on his face his son turned to his Father and said, "Thank you Father,  I love you!".
"I love you too son!".

I have no doubt that a version of this conversation took place on the eve of my birth.  What was the conversation you had before you left the presence of your Father?  Your Mother? Are you living the way you said you would?

When I am out in nature, riding my surf board,  hiking, ridding my Mt bike, SCUBA diving or just simply in total awe of what I have been blessed with, these are the thoughts I ponder on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peace

Mom's Advice: Get It done Son!

Why I Serve

Find Peace Under The Wave

Ducks and Eagles

My Living Room My Wall, Putting the SOCIAL back in Social Media

Right Here Right Now!

Simplify "A Hero's Journey"

Attitude of Gratitude "1,000 Thank Yous"