Functional Fitness



On My Death Bed I want to say, “I am glad I did, not that I wished I had!”

What is functional fitness.  It is fitness for Life! Fitness for movement.  Being functionally fit means you have the strength and flexibility required to live  life at its fullest potential.   To have work capacity, endurance and strength. Flow if you will though all aspects of your life.    You must be ready for what ever life is going to through at you!  It is having a balance between strength, work capacity, endurance, flexibility and mental toughness.  You need to train in all of these areas.

When you are functionally fit you are ready to take on anything.  You want to go for a run, a hike, a mountain bike ride,  surfing, SCUBA diving, a big back packing trip or life calls upon you to get to work.  

When I get the call the Surf is Up or the Storms are Dumping Powder, I want to be physically ready, no hesitation.  Getting it done with FUN!

I am building workouts or WODs with each of these areas addressed.  I look for a routine that works multiple body parts at once if possible.  Transitioning between Circuit training, to  HIT (high intensity interval training) to strength, to a work capacity/endurance workout. 


The Data:

I follow my weight.  My Blood Pressure.  Pulse Ox.  Monthly Body Fat Percentage.  Resting Heart rate.  I also use  my watch to follow my training to see what my Max Heart Rate (MHR) is and when in the workout I hit MHR.  How long I sustained the MHR.  Elevation changes, VO2  and Recommended Recovery Times.  Sleep and how rested my body is.  Sleep habits, quality of sleep and the amount of sleep I am getting. I keep close eye on Nutrition and Hydration.

My goal is to be in and maintain the very best physical,  mental, emotional and spiritual shape possible. 

What does that look like for a man at my level of experience living (age).

I defined best physical shape by my ability to:

The Goals to Achieve and Maintain: 
Run <7 minute Mile
Bench Press 225#  one set of 20 or more reps
Pull Ups one set of 25
Push Ups a daily practice of  5-100 set push ups
Bar dips  one set of 20 or more
Mountain Bike at an average of 10 MPH or faster
Body Fat % 10 to 15% 
Daily Yoga practice
Complete a Murph in <75 minutes (1 mile run, 100 pull ups, 200 push ups, 300 squats, 1 mile run Done Consecutively!)
Padre Snow Canyon  7 mile Hike Run in 90 minutes
Meet the Minimum Navy SEAL  PT Screening requirements for BUDs.  (500 yard swim/12:30, 10 minute brake,  Push Ups in 2 Minutes (42), Sit Ups in 2 minutes (42), 2 minute break between each, then 10 minute break before a run of  1.5 mile run in boots and pants 11:30)

In the Unbeatable Mind SEALFIT   training and Coaching we set up challenges to make it fun and challenge us to meet our goals and improve.  For example:

Over the Top Challenges:
Run Spartan
20X Kokoro (12 hour challenge)
10,000 push in 1 month 
1,000 push up in 1 day 
3,000 Burpees in 30 days
25 Hours Frog Hollow Race/Race True Grit
Mountain Bike 1,000 miles a year (done once)
Row 500,000 Meters
Helli Ski Canada with my Sons and Friends
Surf Kalon, Surf 
Learn to Repel
Hike /run  Rim to Rim of the Grand Canyon
Hike Kilimanjaro 

This functional training is Training for  life balance and good health.   Good Nutrition.  Good Rest.  Good  physical, mental and emotional hygiene practice.  Do not forget Mental Toughness (Breathe, Set Goals, Visualization, Positive Mental Attitude)!

Future Blog Posts I twill o  go about organizing and build  the workouts.    There will be  workouts that are tough and simple to do anywhere.  They will be modifiable to different  skill and fitness levels.  Stay tuned! 

As an Unbeatable-SEALFIT Coach I work with my Clients in building and succeeding at this Holistic mindset and give you the support and tools for success!   If you are interested in working with me or one of my fellow coaches, you  can email me at jnicholsdo@hotmail.com or at Unbeatable Mind Coaches.


Now lets get after IT!  BE UNBEATABLE!!

Hooyah!








Disclaimer: I have consulted with my Physical Therapist(s).  I have worked with some of the very best Yoga instructors in the area.  I seek advice from my Doctor on what to do.  I have a close friend that is a former Mr America who I seek training advice from.  Being a Physician I have insights to my training but have found the  advice from others to be extremely valuable. I have a Massage Therapist to help heal me.  What I am getting at, you must  build and then seek advice from your Training  Master Mind group for what is right for you.  This is my example of what works for me. Get physical clearance from your doctor first.  These are not easy workouts and you could be at risk of serious injury if your body is not ready for full throttle.  














Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peace

Mom's Advice: Get It done Son!

Why I Serve

Find Peace Under The Wave

Ducks and Eagles

My Living Room My Wall, Putting the SOCIAL back in Social Media

The Walk

Right Here Right Now!

Simplify "A Hero's Journey"

Attitude of Gratitude "1,000 Thank Yous"