My Living Room My Wall, Putting the SOCIAL back in Social Media




                                "My Wall, My Rules"

Several weeks ago a close friend of mine called to check in.  He is a physician.  A wise man I have known for  over 30 years.  We started talking about Social Media and how it has changed and altered our lives.  

One concern we both shared is the lack of respect people show each other on social media.  I am the first to admit I have been guilty.   He then shared some wise advice.  He said "Think of your Facebook wall as your living room and give the same respect to others".   He went on to say "If someone posts something you disagree with or it offends you, on their wall,  say to yourself what you wanted to post and move-swipe on".    If you find a post positive or you like it, Like It.  Even take the time to say something supportive or positive.  In other words use self control.  Be positive.  Be kind.  Sometimes it is better to be kind than right.

We both also agreed that you need to let people posting negative unwanted comments on your wall is not welcome.  If they continue to do so, let them know you will have to unfriend them if they do not respect your rules.

Let people enjoy their freedom of speech.  When you share what could be or intended to be a negative expression, you are only going to make them angry and dig in deeper.   It is very unlikely you will not change their mind and only lose respect.  Decreasing the value in the emotional bank account you share with that person. 

Let them have their say.  You can share your opinion or join the debate from your wall not theirs. 

Your opinion your Living Room/Wall.  

None of us wants a guest to walk into our living room and take a dump on the floor right? That is what we are doing when we make such unwanted comments, opinions and ill advice.  

If you feel so strongly that you must let that person know how you feel,  Take It Off Line.  

I call this going to the  kitchen.  Go offline in a  message.  Nothing wrong with sharing ideas off line in a respectful manner.  Seek to understand first.  I bet you will find in most cases you are not that far apart. 

You might  find out that person is in a bad place, full of FEAR!  They need your support.  Not your judgment. It's called being a friend. 

If it needs to be an even more honest and "raw" crucial conversation, take it outside to the garage or woodshed in person face to face or on the phone  in private. 

We lose so much of what is really important by not talking anymore in peerson.  Tone of voice, body language. eye contact. On a post or text there is too much left to misguided  interpretation.

My self correction for 2021 is to make these changes in my life in how I communicate.  From now on I will do my best to show respect, kindness  love and respect.  As in real estate, conversations are all about Timing  and Location, Location, Location.

I expect the same from  anyone posting on my wall.   Do not be offended when I call you out.  My wall my rules. Just like in my living room at home.

Have a good day my friends!

Hooyah!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peace

Mom's Advice: Get It done Son!

Why I Serve

Find Peace Under The Wave

Ducks and Eagles

The Walk

Right Here Right Now!

Simplify "A Hero's Journey"

Attitude of Gratitude "1,000 Thank Yous"